Tuesday, February 27, 2007

I may have shot the clutch, but I did not shoot the depuzeke

So, some have accused me of being the anti-blogger.

Yeah, I don't really have any defence. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Whats been up recently? Welll... Work has been great but has kept me busy (I suppose thats what its there for). I went to an AMAZING fort Pastor concert, and they solidified in my mind how awesome they were. They are just such real, honest, nice people. They remembered us. And a guy from SoulFest was there, and he remembered us too. How cool is that?

Concernting the title, yes I know its basically the lamest title EVER. But I paid for it, dang it.

You see, I was getting onto the highway with my good friend Mike, taking him home. I was going in my dads car, which is a manual, which I recently learned to drive. Or maybe not.

As I was pulling out of the stop light on to the on ramp, I thought "Wow, this thing really is going today- look at that RPM shoot up!" and I had to shift faster to account for the faster rev up. Which I thought was pretty cool. It sounded more like a sports car. Shifting can make you feel pretty cool when your not bouncing around in a parking lot trying to get into first. Thats a fact.

But of course, by the time I got into 5th I realized that I wasn't going as fast as the RPM would have me beleive. In fact, in 5th, I wasn't passing 50, and my RPM was almost redlining. About that time, Mike asked "Dude, do you smell that?" to which I replied like any good friend "SHUT UP! DON'T even joke about that.... you must just be smelling the heater. I don't smell anything."

But as I could tell something was up, I pulled over. THEN I smelt it. "Great." Juustt great. I tried putting it into gear again... I had to have that thing up to 4000 before it would budge. "I'mmmm in trouble. Can I borrow your cell?"

Long story short, my dad came and towed us out. In the van. With a tow cable. Yeah, it was pretty cool. I drove the van, with a line of communication constantly open between the vehicles, courtesy of Mike's cell. I would warn him when I was going to break, he would tell me if I was going to slow or if I needed to move a little more off the shoulder, etc. I towed him to the next exit, which thankfully happens to be the exit our mechanic is at.

So what happend? Welll.....

APPARENTLY, the clutch is designed to slip. This is what my dad told me when I asked him how on earth I was supposed to get a start going on a hill with out falling into the car behind me.

"No Zeke, you can take the clutch out a little bit to defeat the backwards motion... you don't have to go all in right away."

"OH! Like how an automatic is always going forward a bit when stopped!" says I.

"Yeah, sort of..." my dad replied, not realizing the chain effect this had on my brain.

APPARENTLY, your not supposed to slip the clutch for long periods of time. Say, on a hill, while waiting for a red light to change for thirty seconds. HUH, oops. Thats basically what I did for a day or two in Manchester. Heh, my bad!

I paid to have another clutch put in. The mechnic showed me what I did. I literally caught the thing on fire. Pretty funny actually.

So thats why I say I paid for my lame title. Though I didn't document that use. I did however, document the biggest portion I got out of this whole ordeal. On the memo to the mechanic, I wrote "An expensive lesson".

8 comments:

PiP said...

Glad everything, er, mostly turned out okay. Some prescribed reading:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque_converter

Z is still the man. Hope to catch up with ya soon, things have been crazy out here.

Anonymous said...

Ya know... I was gonna be good and never mention this story to anyone. :-P

And I thought the title was okay. Not too intense, but it was... close to humorous.

Haha. The 'Anti-Blogger'. Maybe so, but I'd think you've gone to another place where you have a life beyond blogging. *shock! Dismay!*

Maybe someday I too will have a life beyond blogging...



Naaaaaaaaah.

Anonymous said...

So, I was feeling a little bad about that comment until I let someone else read it and they laughed their head off. I decided you probably laughed, too.

You're capacity to handle stress continually amazes me. You could be a brain surgeon.

Well, maybe not.

BTW: Busy is good. It's one of my favorite four-letter words.

Jim said...

Lol, manuals are fun when learning... I got to learn a little in a six wheel flatbed truck...got started and got on the highway fine (yes, I will agree, shifting when accelerating = uberfun). Then I got off the highway, downshifted (also fun) and my dad's like, "hey, take a turn around town (Salisbury, MA) to get some practice 'fore we get into the yard (we were returning scaffolding)".

"OK! I like this" big mistake

Did ok, but took three light cycles to get started (darn 3rd gear is next to first and CLOSER to neutral)..lol, people were passing me and I felt like an idiot in a company truck. Actually, when we got back into the yard and I had to do alot of first/reverse stuff, I got pretty good at slipping the clutch and all.

Turns out I have the opposite problem than you, z. I envisioned the clutch as a geared device that would STRIP if I slipped it, LOL. But no, my dad's like "its friction, don't throw it out as fast, it won't hurt it". lol...I'm like...hey, thats alot easier! But I'll remember to take it easy, lol.

Anonymous said...

dude, that clutch musta been ready to go anyway, because...i used to ALWAYS do that on hills...(before i learned the hill start.)

Anonymous said...

U R sch a BLOG H8R!!!

Anonymous said...

zeke! i totally just had the BEST idea!

are you ready?

ok:

you should post something new.

isn't that UH-mazing?

Super Kiaya said...

Are you dead?