Wednesday, August 22, 2007

An up-what?

There is a guy at our work who is an Elvis memorabilia nut. He probably has the most expensive and biggest collection of Elvis concert stuffs in the North East- his most recent piece that he bought (from eBay of course) was a banner from one of Elvis's last shows. Its framed and everything.

To some extent I can understand something like that- its a piece of history. Also, it has some resale value. But today...

Today he brought in "Collector edition" Elvis Reese's peanut butter and banana cream cup candies. A box full of them (apparently he got several). They aren't too bad- basically regular Reeses cups with banana in them too. But I'll admit, I was kinda weirded out over the bizarre branding of it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm an evil capitalist as some of you know, so I think they should be able to do whatever they want to bring in money (within SOME limits). And even though I never got why Elvis was so big, I understand he was. But this is how you celebrate it?

"Hey everyone, 30 years ago today Elvis KILLED himself. Lets make a candy!!! Reeses for everybody, its Elvis's deathday!"

-----

(A more proper post is to follow, I just figured I'd throw this up here so people knew I was alive. I have half a Soulfest post [well, a good page or two start anyway] but now I really want to do a concert post for the Nickel Creek/Fiona Apple concert. One of them will be next.)

8 comments:

Unknown said...

what's up to you as well zekicus.... thank you for the update :) and I would agree, I never really understood the hype about elvis. should we really be glorifying a suicide? an important question to ponder...

Reepicheep said...

Well, as Steveo corrected me it wasn't a suicide- (at which point I thought he was going to tell me he was still alive and in the service of aliens, until he continued)- it was an overdose. But yeah, still...

Super Kiaya said...

Dude. Who ever said that Elvis was dead?
Liars.

EVERYONE knows he lives with the Aliens.

What's scary is that they chose HIM as a specimen....

The Saxophone Player's Wife said...

Elvis. Aw. I remember when he died. I came home and my second sister was crying. (She was an emo kid.)

I do not understand people who worshiped Elvis---and who still worship him today. I don't get that scene at all. However, I did grow up watching his flicks late at night with my sisters. So, I have many warm feelings for the dude. And, he really was talented and really did have an impact on his culture and society that is worth noting. He deserves his props. Even on candy bars.

He's such a sad case. He was a victim, used from beginning to end. People did not understand the dangers of prescription meds and thought doctors were gods. At least his death brought an enormous amount of attention to a big problem.

Have you ever seen an Elvis movie? They are a kick! And, his movie with Ann-Margaret, "Viva Las Vegas," is one of his best, because she is so AWESOME! Search "Viva Las Vegas Trailer" on U2b.

Unknown said...

So.... its been a month. I want an update :) What's been going on with you? how was your birthday? is it weird being 21?

The Saxophone Player's Wife said...

Happy Birthday (one day late?)! Congratulations on a brand new year. I hope it's your best one yet. Make it count.

Anonymous said...

dude when are we gonna hang out again... and i dont mean atf... if your going and i can find ya...

Super Kiaya said...

You've had a post about Elvis on your blog for over a month.
Update Zekiel. You're breaking my heart.