Sunday, November 11, 2007

Reading by the fireplace

I was always a fan or the romantic idea of curling up to a good book and reading it by the fireplace light. Its such a warm, safe and cozy sounding thing... but you know what? Its really not all that great. I mean it is, but its not as perfect as we so often make it out to be. I thought about this last night when I attempted to recreate this idealistic notion while a blazing fire was started upstairs. I pulled up a chair and tried to read The Golden Compass.

I began to realize yet again as I shifted in my seat that all I ever get when I actually try this in real life is strained eyes from bad lighting, a cold back and a leg thats about to go up in flames.

And yet, I still love the idea. Its irrational, really- but somehow my personal memories of how difficult it is to get comfortable by a fireplace are always overrun by this grand ideal thought of being around a fireplace. Anyone else ever notice that kind of quirk about yourself?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL. The part about your leg going up in flames is so true, it's not even funny. I mean, you'd wish that sitting by a fire was romantic, but it's like, your face starts to burn off before anything romantic happens.

Yeah. That was funny.

Super Kiaya said...

I have a lot of irrational notions like that.
I've actually read by candlelight though. And eaten by it.
Boy, eating by it's a bit crazy, let me tell ya.

However, if you light enough of the right candles and station them properly, it's not half bad.

Did you end up getting any of The Golden Compass read? :-P