Wednesday, January 09, 2008

A fog examined

Driving home tonight was made much more exciting then normal by an unusual amount of fog. As I drove down the road, it seemed to come at me in small surging wisps and in long hanging clouds. The road would be visible one moment, almost completely concealed the next, then visible through a soft layer of fog again. It kept one guessing, and made you alert. My feet were a little closer to the pedals, my posture, more prone. I didn't know what to expect, and moment after moment was a surprise.

It was oddly analogous of the primary. It kept us guessing all week, then it kept us watching all night. For me, it is a unique election. This is only my second time being able to vote in a presidential race, but its not the second campaign I've followed. My family has always been at least moderately aware and active in politics, and I've spent several evenings huddled close to the TV, watching results pour in. But this one is different for me. For the first time, I wasn't rooting for the candidate my parents were rooting for. My candidate (Ron Paul) wasn't even considered a serious contender. And different also this year is my following of the democrats primary as well. I never thought I'd say this, but I think I got more into the democratic ABC debate then the Republican one. Even though I dislike both candidates policies, I have found myself rooting for Obama to get the nomination on the Democratic side. I had a horse in both races. I was happy when he came in first in Iowa. I was overjoyed when people started talking about Hillary falling fast. And so, I was hoping for another victory by him tonight to balance out the bitter taste of McCain taking the state I love and giving the most American, constitutionalist candidate I know less then 10 percent. Afterall, if I was to have to pick between the two democrats running, I would feel safer with Obama. Clinton is, as a friend has recently put it to me, "a very oldschool, power play, family connection kind of candidate". I want to see her loose. I want her to see that no one is owed the presidency in the United States. At least Obama brings a freshness to the table. But no; in my great state, Obama has lost narrowly to Hillary.

Though a somewhat discouraging end to my otherwise pleasant day, I have hope for the rest of the campaign. The race is really wide open, on both sides. And so the tightness of the race, like the fog- though it confounds us and frustrates some- it makes the ride a heck of a lot more exciting.

Here's to a great 2008 everyone.

(And I'm sorry my first post in over a month had to be about Politics. )

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm trying to do the math: How have you managed to vote in two Presidential campaigns?

I responded to your comment on my site, BTW. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Super Kiaya said...

I love this post.

I know that I say that about a lot of your posts, but it's true this time. ;-)

It reflects you - the contemplativeness that you've been showing and a tired flash of your political standings. I liked it. You carried the fog thing from the beginning to end and that made it seem really whole.
Whoa, man, I just made a comment analyzing your use of imagery. Smack me up side the head when you see me next, kay?
Drive carefully in that fog.

The Saxophone Player's Wife said...

Check this out!

http://www.cbsnews.com/sections/i_video/
main500251.shtml?id=3698416n

The Saxophone Player's Wife said...

Here is some additional footage...

http://www.cbsnews.com/sections/i_video/
main500251.shtml?id=3698526n