Wednesday, April 12, 2006

The infamous SB 268

(This is Little Man hamming up for the crowd control. Just kidding.)

Today I went over to Concord to protest SB 268 with some others from the home school gang. SB 268, for those who do not know, is a bill that would hike the mandatory age for attending high school from 16 to 18. It also has a lot of negative effects on current home school law.

Anyway, the protest was great. We had probably about 30 people or so, spread out all around the main building where the representatives were going in to vote on the bill today. It has already passed the house, but we have a real chance of getting it killed or brought to further discussion with the representatives. I only have the above pic of Little Man because, even though I brought my camera, I was to stupid to remember to take pictures with it... we had a lot of fun anyway though. New Hampshire is so cool- we have a house of representatives second only to the Brit's house of commons and most of them are very approachable. We had a lot of reps tell us that they were going to vote no on the issue, and we even had a few who were undecided come up to us and ask what are reasons were. Most people are cool like that in the house- they only get paid something like $100 plus parking, so they are not really career politicians.

We should be able to find out what happened with the bill later today. Stay tuned...
----------
UPDATE: The bill has been rejected by the house! Read about it on WMUR. Congratulations to everyone involved!

Lynch is not happy with this at all of course, and neither are a few reps. They have tried to make it look like the house has "given up" on the problem. One of them vowed to get it passed, possibly by sneaking it into another bill. So... looks like we might have a fight on our hands. All I can say is...


BRING IT ON!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it's so cool that you went off and protested!
Why wasn't I informed? Hmm?!
lol

Nah, it's okay, I'm glad you had fun. Yes, our New Hampshire system is indeed, very cool, what will the town coucils and what not. I mean, No other part of the country has the kind of systems that New England has. We're very Town-oriented it would seem.
It's a beautiful day, and I actually have grammar work to complete. I must be off.
OH!!
Happy Good Friday.
(See, I take ANY reason I can to say 'Happy' something or other. :).)

And, come Sunday...
Happy Easter!
Be on the look out for Egg laying Rabbits!

~Kiaya

everett said...

Nice man. I was supposed to go but I had classes. My fam was there though...

Anonymous said...

Nice. Hahaha...lol, that last part made me laugh. I can see you up on a stage, getting the crowd all fired up. :)

Anonymous said...

Lol, your MOMO sister!