Friday, September 15, 2006

Mah tooph ith out

Before I get on to this post, I just have to say a few words of thanks.

I have amazing friends that I don't deserve. Everyone has been so kind to me. To everyone who IM'd me, left me notes on my blog or expressed their sympathy and best wishes in some way or another, thank you SO much. Really, I am humbled. Thank you, you guys are "pretty much awesome". You've been so kind that it hurts.

Okay, now to the post. I just got back from camping/little family vactation and its pretty fun stuff, so I'll probably post about about it next. But I was almost done with this story about my tooth getting pulled out, so its first up to bat.

Friday I went in for a tooth extraction- well, more like whats-left-a-tooth extraction. Yeah, I might as well level with you all: My dental health ain't exactly going to win me any Crest scholarships. I basiclly had a muller that had rotted so badly that it broke once upon a peanut M&M about, oh, I'd say a month ago. I fetched the tooth out and kept it around for a little while, hoping that (since it was in two peices) I could con the tooth fairy into giving me double, but instead I got nothing. Apparently shes a pretty smart dame or she stopped making house calls , but thats another story.

Back to the extraction. So, we've recently changed dentists. And man, I'm a generally easy going guy and don't readily fault professionals but now that I've been with the new people (Aspen dental, if you'd like to know) I can see how much better they were then our old dentists. These guys are actually FRIENDLY.

These are all the pre-concieved notions I have going into the dentist's today. With all that being said though, I was a little nervous once I started watching the oral surgeon who was going to pull the roots out from underneath my tooth. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

He was an older gentelman- a nice fellow. He made friendly banter while going briefly going over my file. At one point, he stopped his activity behind the operating chair and turned back to me. He had noticed the Sarcoma in my health record. He asked me about the details. I told him my story.

"Your very lucky... very lucky. Sarcoma is a pretty bad dissease."

I could tell that he had a story. I was curious, but I stopped myself from asking any questions.

"Your very lucky." he echoed again.

Then he went ahead and shot me up with novocaine. He told me his name I'm sure, and of course I forgot it. But it doesn't matter- I know his name. His name is Shaky.

Probably not the best nickname for a dentist, but its true. His hands were shaking. This is what gave me second thoughts. Watching him work was akin to the scene in Toy Story 2 where the toy doctor fixed up woody. The old man could get the small stitches into woody-he just had to time his moves against his shaking hands. I'm guessing this is how it was for my surgeon, Mr. Shaky.

I kept telling myself that they wouldn't have let him work if he had lost his ability. And lo and behold, he hadn't. His hands moved like mine after 5 big mugs of coffee, but he had some mad dentistry skillz. The pain when the needle for the novocaine went in was very minor. This guy was good- but he wasted no time. He was one of the fastest dentists I've been underneath. And man, I am so glad for novocaine- all i could feel was the tension on my mouth, but I could tell that he was really REALLY torqing my mouth. It was kinda scary. It took him a long time to pull the roots out, then he had me bite down on some gauze and told me to keep it there for the next hour. He gave me a perscription for a speacial kind of pain killer that actually binds to the pain receptors... pretty crazy stuff. Then he looked at me and said very seriously

"Make sure you take the first pill BEFORE your novocaine wears out."

He didn't have to tell me why. I had felt the raw force he had used in prying the roots out of my mouth. Even with the novocaine it still hurt a little.

On the way home, it started to hurt more, but I had to keep gauze on the part of my mouth sence it was bleeding slightly- which meant that I couldn't swallow the pain meds till I was finnished with the gauze. The first day hurt pretty bad, but I took me a nap and later that evening we headed out for a vacation. All in all the surgery went probably as good as could be expected...my only regret was that I didn't get to see the mangled tooth they had pulled out.

More stuff later.

BTW today is my birthday, or so they tell me. I don't really remember it.

9 comments:

Aielunknown said...

You had a tooth extraction? Cool...I like that type os stuff...except when I am the victim. As for me, I have never had an extraction. THe worst I have had, is a Filling. I am glad that you guys had a good time in the mountains...That is all from me...for now. ;-)

Brad

Anonymous said...

cool.

haha. your mom was telling anders (and i was listneing in xD) that when you were little you'd tell your family to not tell you when your birthday was, to suprise you. and so like, when you went to the store or something, and the nice workers asked when your bday was, you said you didn't know.

xD hahaha. i find that amusing.

Anonymous said...

happy brithday, btw. ^_^

Super Kiaya said...

Wow. I like that story. (both the tooth, and from Hannah.)

I've never been to the dentist... lol. Not once. Ever. lol. Which is bad. My teeth are kinda icky... but I've never had one break, or a toothache or nothing and except for the GAPING HOLE in the front of my teeth, I'm pretty good. Hahaha.
I hope you had fun camping and I hope you liked the card I made. (Mrs. Harvell was talking about the About the Book Pages in class. I couldn't take hearing it again, so I doodled. For some reason, I have a disposistion to draw rabbits in that class... Huh. Weird. Anyway, hope you liked it. Happy Birthday and all that jazz.)

Um... what else? Happy Talk-Like-A-Pirate day... Arrr and ahoy and all that. I hope I didn't mess up the ROC post I wrote while you were away. I was so scared that you'd come back and have to kill me because it had been up for so long and had sucked that whole time. :-P

Okay. That's it. Laaaaater.

Bander said...

Happy Birthday :)

Anderz said...

Well... interesting post. I've never read anything so in depth into the amazing world that you enter in the dentistry office. Hmm that was a wierd way to like... start that, and I'm not really sure what I meant. Anyway, sounds pretty bad... getting the roots ripped out of your skull. Talk to ya later, and in regards to the top of your wonderfully long post, anytime man, anytime.

Anonymous said...

hey! happy belated birthday! wooooooo.
i'm sorry you didn't get to see the mangled tooth. that is a sad, sad story. you should totally get souvenirs from that time of thing...

Anonymous said...

ezekiel: you make me laugh. i think you are swell.

also, the EC was just knowing that it was a song, and who it was by. and, thusly, you did not fail. however, 42 purple was a VERY good guess, and might very well have been the answer to a question i didn't voice. so, i'll keep it in mind. :-D

*sigh* i'm kind of exhausted, y'know? AND, there's really no "catch up" in sight. so...THAT'S fun...

but the new job and the photography stuff which are causing the exhaustion...brilliant, and i wouldn't trade them.

ok, i have to go pack for cape cod, now. ciao

Anonymous said...

"Then he went ahead and shot me up with novocaine. He told me his name I'm sure, and of course I forgot it. But it doesn't matter- I know his name. His name is Shaky.

Probably not the best nickname for a dentist, but its true. His hands were shaking. This is what gave me second thoughts. Watching him work was akin to the scene in Toy Story 2 where the toy doctor fixed up woody. The old man could get the small stitches into woody-he just had to time his moves against his shaking hands. I'm guessing this is how it was for my surgeon, Mr. Shaky."

This totally makes me laugh out loud. I think about it and laugh. Please, keep reading and keep writing (reading fuels our writing). Awesome. Oh, man. It's really hilarious. I dunno. Maybe I have a very undeveloped sense of humor, but I don't think so. Doug laughed out loud, too, and he was raised on Monty Python.

Anyway...write more. Did I say that already? :)