Wednesday, January 31, 2007

The all star of gate D3

Its amazing how quickly you get used to things.

Yesterday at 9 I was confused and frustrated about staying the night. By midnight I felt like I knew the airport almost completly.

I knew where the outlets were. I knew where all the internet stations were- the one that the well intentioned but mislead Continental staff told me didn't exist. I knew where the tunnels and moving sidewalks were. I knew the bathroom system. I even had a favorite urinal that I considered mine... (Thats really where I got a bit concerned that perhaps I had grown TOO comfortable...)

At first, I sat by an outlett to charge my PDA and batteries. I listened to Illinois by Sufjan Stevens and watched the airport staff scury outside through the window. I kept thinking how cool it was the way all those people and specialzed vehices were working together. I wish Abe was there to see it too- he would have loved it.

Sleeping was not so easy. I tried several things, finally slouching over in a phone booth. A guy on a cleaning machine passed me a couple times. Then one time I saw him pass me- then back up. He called once. I ignored him- I was afraid he was going to tell me I couldn't sleep here. He called a second time. I looked up groggily, doing the "who, me?" gesture. He asked if I was staying the night. I told him I was. He said "Let me see if I can get you a cot." and sped off. I was ever so thankful.

Long story short, he wasn't able to find one in this half of the airport. But he assured me there was some through the tunnel. I thanked him and ran off- by this point I allready had a pretty good grasp of the geography of the Airport- which, if you know me is pretty suprising.

The only one I found was behind a continental service desk. After passing it a few times looking for others, I finally bit the bullet and jumped the gate to retreive it. Okay, so the gate was open. I took it back set it up by gate D3.

That actually helped only mildly, since, well..... Its a cot. My arms didn't know where to go and proved a perpetual problem. But I did get some sleep- dont ask how much, I have no idea.

I went over today to a place that said it served- PROUDLY served- Phoneix Cofee. I had taken Brad's wisdom of getting cofee while here to heart. I decided it had to be local. I got a mocha phoneix something something. It was flipp'n GOOD. I could taste the chololate, yes- but the coffee was certainly there, strong and not acidic. Just how I liked it. I got a breakfast sandwhich there as well. The people behind the counter were the nicest people I've met in any store in awhile. But everyone sees nice here.

Okay, over my time again.

Everyone, thanks for the comments. It made logging on worth while. Anon, MHT is Manchester Airport. Oh, I see someone said this already. Quick, you are. Hannah- you crackedme up with the Kevin Max thing. You do realize he's getting on nowadays, right? In years and in girth? ;)

Later e'ry body.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you ever see that movie with Tom Hanks and a bunch of other people? I think it was called Terminal. Well, I never saw it either, but reading your post made me think of it.

You're so good-natured about all of this, Z. That is a fine quality in a human being.

SO, now you REALLY know the Cleveland Aiport, eh? Golly. Quite an experience. I trust you are already where you need to be by now.

Oh, one question: Why were you grounded? You mentioned the weather had kept you "in the air." Was it keeping you out of the air, too? Were there others camping out as well? Or, had you missed your connecting flight due to missing the flight from MHT? Phoenix Coffee, like the Phoenix creature? Is that a Cleveland thing? Did you ever get to leave the airport? (Did I say I had one question?)

Well, enjoy the adventure and be safe.

Anonymous said...

whoever the heck anonymous is, he/she brought up a great movie.

cheers to your adventure. yes, the girl is back and all the mini tragedies seem to be resolving themselves.

1. dad wants to know, can we put your truck in the shop? it was only a quart of oil low, which dad says was not enough to trigger the check engine light.

2. i wants to know, eh, hah ah ha... uhm, can i take your truck to boston to meet a friend? i'd park her in sullivan square and take the t.

3. i love you miss you and hope your trip goes better than your first part of your trip. call asap.

Anonymous said...

Well... Okay. That's all good. (I too, love knowing where things are in the airport. Glad you're having fun. :) )

But... you're still not in Kansas, are you?

(Terminal was a REALLY good movie.)

Yeah, let us know how things are going, please.

Jim said...

Glad to hear you arrived safe and things are going better! Who's a gettin' hitched if I might ask?

Anonymous said...

I didn't mean to say 'STILL in Kansas' I meant to ask if you had actually gotten there.

*smacks forehead*

Just... ignore me. It'll make this process go by more easily.

Anonymous said...

hi. i had not read your site for several days, but i had a dream this morning that i was at your wedding. i don't know who you were marrying; don't ask. but...your mom said nobody could eat the pepperoni at the reception...unless we wanted to die. apparently it was some lethal pepperoni. why would you serve lethal pepperoni at your wedding, zeke? there was another funny part of the dream, but i couldn't remember it, despite laying there mostly asleep thinking, "remember this so you can tell zeke, remember this so you can tell zeke."

Anonymous said...

bahhh hahahahhaaaaa! Yeah, he is. But that's why we look at him in the PAST. Yeah. XD