Saturday, January 21, 2006

All for access

Hey, check out this:












No, this isn't a bomb- its a "password retrieval" tool. Or at least, it should be, when I'm done.

More info later- I just had to upload these picutures cause they look so darn cool!

UPDATE:

To paraphrase NASA- "Dude, we have success!"

I feel very sneaky indeed. Look at this thing:









And a close up for the geeks (hi Anders!):










Here it is installed:
SO...Let me give all the non-tech readers a chance to log off now. Y'all gone? Ok.

You see, like I mentioned in earlier posts, I got a Toshiba laptop that had a busted up screen and a bios password stuck. Normally, you can just reset the password by taking the battery out. They must have hid a battery somewhere on this thing though, and if you look online apparently Toshibas have more security features then most- in fact, some of them will encrypt the hard drive with the password in the bios. Pretty crazy, eh?

So anyways, I got this one from a client. I don't think he even know what the password was, it probably was set by the IT team at his work. After the battery didn't work, I did some research and found out there was a 'back-door' for password retrival: short a bunch of pins on the printer port. I told my dad about it and he said "Sure, you can just whack one of our extra cables up." But then he found this crazy connector you see (sans the wires; I added those myself) and said I could use it. Dude, its like a parrallel port breadboard! Only problem was that pin one didn't have a little plug, but my dad tinned it up and sodered a wire to for me in a snap. I stripped a bunch of telephone wire and made the connections- actually I way overdid the wire. I realized that half way through I only needed one wire per connection- duh! I was putting a wire in each whole then twisting them together. I only needed to do this for the first one though, because it had three pins together instead of 2. Live and learn, you know.

Here's a really crummy quality picture of me and my winnings:

Its not the photographer's fault BTW, just a crummy camera.

Uhh.. the END!

No comments: