Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Telephone problems from the abyss!

Hey everyone! Even though at this point, I believe 'everyone' refers to a maximum of two people...

So! My day today was like a marbled cake, if the two flavors in the cake were small random emergencies and sheer boredom. If this cake had frosting, I guess it would be a small amount of study time. What, you don't get it? Ok, let me elaborate:

Today I was supposed to go into Salem at 10 to get the front end of the van aligned. My mom took my dad to work, but when I she got back (at about 9) she said I was supposed to call my dad and confirm that it was actually at 10, since he wasn't sure if it was ever finalized. "Oh- and before you do that," my mom said, "you have to fix the telephone line. Dad said he forgot to switch something back over last night and we don't have dial tone. He said he knew you would understand it." Huh, ok.... You see, since I have my own phone number for my business, the phone either rings regular, or rings with two short rings, which is my line. In order to not confuse everyone, we have a little box sort those out so that my calls only go down stairs to my business phone. This box was spazzing out- trying to pick up several times a second, so after fiddling with it for a while, I had disconnect it to get the phones working.

Then I realized it was like 10 minutes before I had to be there. Ugh...I don't even know where it is yet! I figured that out from google, and I realized I was going to be late. We call up the place and move it down to 12 (they are on lunch break at 11) . Then I get a call.

The call wasn't for me. In fact, it wasn't for anyone in my family. The call was for "Mrs. Matilda". They asked if they had dialed such-and-such number, and I said no and what my number was. "Oh, were sorry. We must have dialed the wrong number." I hung up, but thought it was weird- they were from a hospital or nursing place or something of the sort, all very professional- not the type to call wrong numbers. Then a few seconds later, they call again. This time she says "I KNOW I dialed such-and-such numbe-" and suddenly an old ladies voice comes on the line and says "Hello?" "Hello, is this Mrs. Matilda?" There is some confusion as all three of us are talking, and then she hangs up. I said that we were having trouble with our phones and asked if the lady from Londonderry. She said yes. "Ok, thanks" I said "we seem to have some problems down here. I'll try and get it sorted out with the telephone company."

I call my dad and tell him whats going on. "Hold on," he says "let me see something... yeah, your not coming from our phone number." We try calling our phone number and nothing happens... he has to call poor old "Mrs. Matilda" to ring my phone. Unfortunately, sometimes she picks up. This is akward, to say the least. She usually ends up hanging up. Its very weird though- I dialed 0 for the operator but after I finally got to talk to someone I had the wrong phone company. fooey.

This made me a LITTLE late for my appointment. I confess I pushed the speed a bit to get there on time, but hey! I didn't. I couldn't find the sign for the last street I supposed to turn on. I ended up eating a whole bunch of gas up as I drove every which direction and then finally got BACK on the highway and retraced my steps. Ugh. Now I'm at the shop 40 minutes late. I apologize. They guy behind the counter smiles and says he can still get me in but it will take a while. Ok, I think... I've got Bio homework.

I sit down to do it... theres some really weird tv shows on. The first one is all this hokey paranormal stuff. I I was trying not to listen to it but I think in the end the concluded that we might have come from mars. On a meteor. Boy, that would have been fun!! It stinks no lifeform was advanced enough to film it. I want to see that ride!

Anyway, I tried to stuff little pieces of toilet paper in my ear for ear plugs. Wow, that sounds even stupider when I type it out. You may have guessed it; they were not exactly the best sound insulators ever made. I got some bio studying done, but then there was this B crime thriller on. At first I watched it every now and then, but then this BUTT UGLY woman seduced a really nice lawyer type who loved his family and it lost all credibility for me. I mean, this girl was UGLY. And I use the term 'girl' lightly. It could have been Trent lott under all that makeup for all I know. I effectively stopped watching it for awhile, but then an hour later this really cool detective guy comes into the story that looks alot like Pigeon John. The movie still stunk though.

After that, I went over to a computer store and got some stuff- a cable for a customer's computer, and some compressed air and a flash reader for me. The reader was on sale for 5 bucks and I had store credit to burn. The can of air is the biggest I have ever bought and I have a strange pride in it. I think I will probably waste it on people though...

Then I went to goodwill and bought me some random music (An old Michael Card CD that I hadn't heard before and some random artists I had never heard of before). One of the girls that worked there said "Oh my gosh, you cut your hair!" That was interesting. Apparently she remembers me for my weird hair. I said sorry.

Wow, long post. Originally today was going to be like a paragraph and the post was going to be about the whole week. Bah, its to long. Maybe I'll throw it in later. I got to start REALLY writing now- for my play writing class.

---Zeke

No comments: